In PE we aim to provide all pupils with a broad and balanced curriculum, with a focus on enjoyment and progression. We challenge all pupils to develop both their physical abilities and their understanding through our extensive range of activities.
We seek to strike a balance between performance and participation, not only enabling our most able sportsmen to achieve excellence, but also catering for the needs of all pupils in the context of a curriculum which is underpinned by a ‘sport for all’ philosophy.
At Key Stage 3 every pupil has 2 hours of physical education a week and 1 hour in Key Stage 4. Pupils can also opt to study GCSE PE giving them a further 5 hours across the two week timetable.
Pupils are constantly assessed within their practical lessons based upon their participation rates, attitude, understanding and sporting ability. Through their performance in lessons pupils are given the honour of representing the school as a member of our sports teams.
St Matthew’s offers an extensive extra-curricular sporting programme combining open access club participation with targeted team training through access to the sports facilities before school, at lunchtimes and after school. St Matthew’s enters local, regional and national competitions in a wide range of activities and achieves a high level of success.
Facilities and Equipment
All equipment that the pupils will require to take part in the sporting activities is provided by the school. On site the physical education facilities include:
- A new full size 3G Astro-turf football pitch with 1 main pitch and 3 smaller pitches going across.
- A 500m cross-country mulch running course that undulates around the perimeter of the sports grounds.
- A fitness/ performance hall with a sprung wooden floor and wall of mirrors.
- A full size sports hall with the markings for badminton, volleyball, netball and basketball.
- A weights room containing 6 resistant weight machines and free weights.
- 2 outdoor netball courts that have recently been resurfaced.